The World Benchmarking Alliance
Project led by :
By supporting the private sector in its role to deliver on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the World Benchmarking Alliance helps companies moving from aspiration to achievement.
The WBA acts as an independent, transparent body with a broad group of Allies providing the necessary support and credibility to be a successful driver of change. Through a multi-stakeholder approach and the formation of a genuine alliance, the WBA intends to strengthen its effectivity as a global institution.
The benchmarks aim to empower all stakeholders, from consumers and investors to employees and business leaders, with key data and insights to encourage sustainable business practices across all sectors. The benchmarks methodologies will also be free to use and continually improved through an ongoing and open multi-stakeholder dialogue.
The first set of benchmarks shall be published in 2020, addressing Food & Agriculture, Climate & Energy, Digital Inclusion, and Gender Equality and Empowerment. There will be developed in close collaboration with WBA Allies, with methodologies published throughout 2019. Many of these Allies will also continue to develop indicators, methodologies and benchmarks to assess progress in other domains critical to achieving the SDGs (business, human rights, etc.).
The Scale-up Committee of the Paris Peace Forum provides strategic advice regarding the creation of new indicators and the methodology's improvement. It also helps with the advocacy stream, through the facilitation of connections with key stakeholders.
• 6 - 9 March 2019: Gathering of the WBA Allies in Mumbai (India) for the second time to focus on their future engagement around benchmark development and methodology, community building and learning, and collective impact on the SDGs.
• 24 April 2019: Publication of the methodology on seafood industry.
• 21 May 2019: Roundtable on the Food & Agriculture Benchmark.
• 12 June 2019: Participation in the EatForum in Stockholm (Sweden).
• 19 and 21 June 2019: Participation in The Global Foundation Roundtables in London (United Kingdom) and Paris (France).
• 27 June 2019: Organization of a policy roundtable in Tokyo (Japan), on the edge of the G20 Summit.
• 1 July 2019: Publication of the Gender Equality and Empowerment Benchmark' summary report from the latest Roundtable on 2 June in Vancouver (Canada).
• 9 - 18 July 2019: Participation in the meeting of the High-Level Political Forum on sustainable development in 2019, convened under the auspices of the Economic and Social Council in New York (United States).