Kumekucha: It’s a New Dawn
Project led by :
Green String Network
This community-led social healing program addresses symptoms of trauma, guides discussions on violent extremism, forgiveness and reconciliation, and deconstructs entrenched cycles of violence at community and societal levels.
Kumekucha: It’s a New Dawn is a community-led social healing program, which, through a tested methodology, addresses symptoms of trauma, guides peer groups through discussions about violent extremism, forgiveness and reconciliation, and deconstructs entrenched cycles of violence at the family level while making clear links to the community and societal levels. Kumekucha has established a unique methodology which consists in developing images and stories based on context and cultural understanding, as well as in utilizing traditional practices of healing. The approach promotes stabilization, peacebuilding, governance and development efforts. The project is currently developed in different places in Kenya: in Mombasa as well as in Majengo, Nairobi.
In the coming year, project leaders expect to deepen their research on peace and violence, expand support to different actors and demonstrate their impact's work. In view of trauma, they aim to design the first programme specifically designed for mediation to facilitate talks and peace agreements between Sudan and South Sudan. To achieve these objectives, it is necessary to find partners and develop local networks. The Scale-up Committee of the Paris Peace Forum provides personalized advice and help the project to strengthen its work based on research, demonstrate its findings and conclusions, gain visibility, and develop new partnerships.
In Kenya, GSN works in partnership with the County Government of Mombasa. The Government, accompanied by a wide variety of actors, officially launched the Mombasa County Action Plan to prevent and combat violent extremism in May 2017.
• 28 March 2019: Launch of the Trauma Informed Initiative for the National Police Service Program (TII-NPS).
• 1 - 5 April 2019: Participation in the International Learning Event organized by Catalyst for Peace in Sierra Leone.
• May 2019: Organization of a Forum in Mombasa (Kenya).
• 27 - 29 May 2019 : Participation in the event Remembrance, Trauma transmission & Experiential Learning, international and interdisciplinary symposium, organized in Turku (Finland).
• 18 - 19 June 2019: Participation in the Forum European Development Days in Brussels (Belgium).
• July 2019: A short program film won the "building peace" category at the SDGs in Action Film Festival. The film will be showcased in New York (United States), at the High-Level Political Forum.