Project led by :
Ocean Unite, The Pew Charitable Trusts, Antarctic and Southern Ocean Coalition
The project is led by a diverse group of high-level influencers from the world of sports, politics, business, media and science, to build support for protecting more than seven million square kilometers of Antarctic waters by 2020.
In the coming year, they expect to secure large-scale marine protected areas in the Southern Ocean, the waters around Antarctica. To achieve these objectives, they would like to raise awareness and obtain the support of key decision-makers in various regions of the world and to advocate for Antarctic marine protection at key events. The Scale-up Committee of the Paris Peace Forum provides tailored advice and support to the project leaders, more particularly in the areas of political lobbying and advocacy.
• 10 - 16 January 2019: Invited by the President of Chile, the project team went to Antarctica
• Blog Medium: Southern Ocean protection: Good for penguins, people and the planet - Geneviève Pons
• Radio France Internationale: Antártida 2020 llama a proteger el océano Austral - José María Figueres
• Euractiv: Antarctica: A historic opportunity for the EU to act for the planet - Geneviève Pons and Pascal Lamy
• Le Monde: Protection de l’Antarctique : "La France et Emmanuel Macron ont la possibilité d’écrire l’histoire" - Sylvia Earle and Pascal Lamy
• 9 - 10 April 2019: Antarctica2020 will be represented at the International Arctic Forum by its champions Slava Fetisov and José María Figueres (Panel "Limitless Opportunities: Ensuring the Rational Use of the World Ocean’s Natural Riches" on 9 April 2019)