Project led by :
Ocean Unite, The Pew Charitable Trusts, Antarctic and Southern Ocean Coalition
The project is led by a diverse group of high-level influencers from the world of sports, politics, business, media and science, to build support for protecting more than seven million square kilometers of Antarctic waters by 2020.
Supported by the Antarctic and Southern Ocean Coalition (ASOC), The Pew Charitable Trusts and Ocean Unite, the project aims to reinforce efforts by the ASOC and to ensure Antarctic marine protection, including the establishment of at least three new large-scale marine reserves in the East Antarctic, the Weddell Sea and the Antarctic Peninsula by 2020.
Just as the world came together in 1959 at the height of the Cold War to set aside Antarctica’s land area for peace and science, Antarctica2020 shows that protecting key areas in the international waters of Antarctica offers another success story for multilateralism in this often-splintered global political environment. If successful, this effort will create a legacy of peace and environmental stewardship that benefits humanity for generations.
To date, Antarctica 2020 gathers eight champions: José María Figueres (Chair, Costa Rica), Slava Fetisov (Russia), Lewis Pugh (South Africa), Sylvia Earle (United States), Geneviève Pons (France), Pascal Lamy (France), Amaro Gómez-Pablos (Spain), Robert Hill (Australia). These eight champions call for high-level leadership, multilateral cooperation and sustained diplomatic efforts at key moments.
In the coming year, they expect to secure large-scale marine protected areas in the Southern Ocean, the waters around Antarctica. To achieve these objectives, they would like to raise awareness and obtain the support of key decision-makers in various regions of the world and to advocate for Antarctic marine protection at key events. The Scale-up Committee of the Paris Peace Forum provides tailored advice and support to the project leaders, more particularly in the areas of political lobbying and advocacy.
• 10 - 16 January 2019: Invitation to visit Antarctica by the President of Chile
• Blog Medium: Southern Ocean protection: Good for penguins, people and the planet - Geneviève Pons
• Radio France Internationale: Antártida 2020 llama a proteger el océano Austral - José María Figueres
• Euractiv: Antarctica: A historic opportunity for the EU to act for the planet - Geneviève Pons and Pascal Lamy
• Le Monde: Protection de l’Antarctique : "La France et Emmanuel Macron ont la possibilité d’écrire l’histoire" - Sylvia Earle and Pascal Lamy
• 9 - 10 April 2019: Participation in the International Arctic Forum through Antarctica champions Slava Fetisov and José María Figueres (Panel "Limitless Opportunities: Ensuring the Rational Use of the World Ocean’s Natural Riches" on 9 April 2019)
• 3 - 12 June 2019: Inauguration of the photo exhibition In the Ice Embrace of the Southern Continent in Russia
• L'Obs: La France a protégé l’Antarctique pendant la guerre froide. Et doit continuer à le faire - Geneviève Pons and Pascal Lamy
• World Economic Forum: Efforts to save the planet must start with the Antarctic - Sylvia Earle